Here are some facts about frequent flyer programs:
- The first flyer program was launched by Texas international Airlines in 1979.
- American airlines Advantage program is the largest frequent flier program in the world with 106 million members.
- The average active member in frequent flyer program in United States earns 28,000 miles per year.
- While the name of the individual is the secret,the individual with the most miles ever earned is 114 million.
- In many cases the frequent flyer programs of airlines are valued almost as much as the airline itself. For example, Air Canada is valued at $3.6 billion and the frequent flyer program is valued at $2.4 billion.
- 60% of all frequent flyer miles are earned from nonflying activity such as purchases at gas stations, supermarkets and retail establishments.