The Healthcare Trends Institute, an educational resource for employers, employees, and other healthcare benefits stakeholders, has announced the results of an employer survey completed during winter 2014 about employer adoption of and rationale behind choosing the flexible spending account (FSA) carryover option.
When asked, What percentage of benefits-eligible employees participated in a healthcare FSA in 2014?:
- Nearly 40 percent (37.3%) reported 20 percent to 40 percent participation,
- 26 percent reported up to 20 percent participation, and
- Almost 20 percent said 40 to 60 percent of employees participated
When asked “What was the average employee contribution to his/her healthcare FSA?”:
- 12.9% funded their FSA with $2,000 to $2,500
- 66.7% funded their FSA with $1,001 to $2,000 and
- 20.4% funded their FSA with $1,000 or less.