Rewards for healthy behavior is one of the few solutions to the healthcare crisis in which everyone wins. Here’s how:
- Consumers win…by earning financial incentives for being healthy in ways that improve health and offset the growing cost of healthcare.
- Health plans win…by reducing the cost of the individuals they insure.
- Employers win…by reducing the cost and improving the productivity of their workforce.
- Providers win…by managing patients better under the new “pay-for-performance” and risk bearing models.
- Politicians win…Democrats win by enabling individuals to earn a valuable support as the result of a government program. Republicans win by creating personal accountability and rewards for individuals who perform better.
- Governments, Medicare and Medicaid win…by reducing high cost medical care through greater prevention and lifestyle management.
When financial incentives are aligned to the behaviors that improve health or optimize utilization of health resources, everyone in the healthcare community wins.